Friday, November 26, 2010

A P P L E O F M Y E Y E .
After an inevitable (yet accidental) vanilla coffee spill, surviving a chaos of feisty adrenaline Black Friday shoppers, trying on piles of clothes (that weren't destined to be purchased), about 200 different conversations, unexpected encounters with old schoolmates, spending 15 bucks worth on vintage floral bras, poking at my friends chili cheese fries, hours of non-stop joking, "hooting" and uncontrollable laugh-attacks later, I met my newest (additional) piece of owned art :
The Son of Man
After glancing through hundreds (not exaggerating) of art portraits at a very busy art booth (it was so lovely and satisfying to see so many people exposing their appreciation for an others talent, I must add) my finger-tips came across the work of Renee Magritte. One glance at it, I became instantly attracted. One actual look at it, I was instantly in love.  (just a self-thought side note: I'm realizing, I happen to fall in love with objects, words, and music much more rapidly than I ever have with an actual human being.) - - - 
I just couldn't let it go. Although I knew my red-floral wallet was in no condition for such selfish pleasures...and clearly I knew the painting wasn't necessary (being that I literally have no space left to flaunt it in my room. ALL my walls are smothered up in either vinyl, photographs, ink, or portraits already.) It's as if a certain magnetic force directed me to exchange my 7 dollars and something cents for the odd, captivating and intriguing piece. but little would I have known that along with this "piece", would also come the discovery of the genius, surrealist painter behind it. (P.S; Yes, for the record, the following information is Googled!) 

- - - - - - - - -

The painting is a 1964 self-portrait of Rene Magritte, an actually very well known (but new to me, of course) Belgian surrealist painter. On the what abouts of The son of Man, Magritte quotes:

"At least it hides the face partly. 
Well, so you have the apparent face,
 the apple, hiding the visible but hidden, 
the face of the person. 
 It's something that happens constantly.
Everything we see hides another thing, 
we always want to see 
what is hidden by what we see. 
There is an interest in that which is hidden and which the visible does not show us. 
 This interest can take the form of a quite intense feeling, a sort of conflict,
 one might say, between the visible that is hidden and the visible that is present."

(P.S.S, Of course I went on to view more of his work, And oh! darling treasure! his work is GOLD. P.S.S.S, Ce' n'est pas une pipe!)


The mind loves the unknown
It loves images whose meaning is unknown, since the meaning of the mind itself 
is unknown.”
 

 “Only thought can resemble. 
It resembles by being what it 
sees, hears, or knows
it becomes what the world offers it.”

“If the dream is a translation of waking life, 
waking life is also a translation of the dream.”




No comments:

Post a Comment