Monday, November 5, 2012




"Reflection tells me that blue further may represent the capacity to embrace one's pain instead of taking the more common path of denial. I agree with most of aventurine's analysis. In at least Western culture, depression is seen as a lack of resolve rather than an illness. The common belief is that the clinically depressed are simply character flawed. Others tend to see a refusal to "look at the bright side" or to effectively practice enough "positive thinking." Most hurtful of all, they will often perceive nonexistent attention seeking motives. Telling that to a depressed person is like saying, "You're making it all up!" In his social network, Drake probably needed more people who could accept him rather than the majority who would attempt to "fix" him. He was clearly perfect as he was--nothing needed any rework. He likely sought bonds with those who, like himself, had the courage to see the blue without any blinders. That is sadly rare in our culture and that truth seemed to sadden Drake as he sought those few who were unafraid to face the blue head on. Social phobia often spirals into an excruciating trap of silent suffering. It is almost as much a societal illness as it is a psychological one. Isolating is very often potently reinforced. Drake's depression may have been fallout from social anxiety. I believe it probably was, but I of course can't know for sure. Regardless, what I will term his "lone blue" was clearly stifling and pervasively life-limiting. He must have found quiet peace through his art, but it wasn't enough. His alienation was only furthered in never being properly appreciated or acknowledged while he was alive. Though he would have never stated it, I'd guess that he knew the magnitude of his gift. These lyrics deeply resonate with me because my life has been limited by the same kinds of mental illness (why in the world are we afraid to say it?). Without any doubt, I could never express my feelings and yearnings as splendidly as Drake has, but I wholly identify. It is some consolation that the world is getting value from his work, but how tragic it is that it did not come in time to have possibly prevented the loss of his life--and such a loss it was. I encourage everyone here to experience Drake's complete recorded works. With (maybe) a couple of exceptions,
 I find every one of his songs nothing less than awe inspiring."


No comments:

Post a Comment